By Syed Akbar
There has been a lot of debate on the safety aspects of genetically modified crops. Those in favour of GM crops say they help farmers by reducing the costs on pesticides, while increasing the yields to feed the
ever-growing population. But those who oppose GM crops, express doubts over their environmental safety and fitness for human or animal consumption.
and most of the produce goes for animal feed.
Bt brinjal will be the first GM food crop to be permitted for human consumption.
Arguments against Bt brinjal
1. Those who eat Bt brinjal will develop resistance to antibiotics like neomycin and streptomycin.
2. The bacterial gene inserted in Bt brinjal releases crystal proteins, which are dangerous for human consumption.
3. Since Bt brinjal is a new product, it is now clear how it will react with human body over a long period of time.
4. Bt brinjal will upset the natural biodiversity, posing a major threat to ecological balance.
Arguments in favour of Bt brinjal
1. Bt brinjal will do away with the need for pesticide spraying.
2. It will increase productivity, thus helping farmers monetarily.
3. Bt brinjal is safe for human consumption.
Word Of The Day - Improve Your Knowledge
Word of the Day
|Definition:||Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task.|
Quote of the Day
Every traveler has a home of his own, and he learns to appreciate it the more from his wandering.