Wednesday 21 March 2012

Telugu girl is an intern in White House

Syed Akbar
Hyderabad: White House. The very name commands power and
inspires awe.  And to be associated with the daily activities in the
White House is nothing short of a major achievement in one’s career.
Telugu girl Anushree Nakkana overtook many in a tough competition to
win an internship in the White House, the official residence of the US
President.

Anushree, who hails from Hyderabad, is a law graduate. She is the
daughter of city physician Dr N Ashok and Anuja. She graduated from
the University of Florida with her BA and law degree JD (juris
doctor). She moved to Washington DC on New Year’s Day 2012 to
participate in the Spring 2012 White House Internship Program.

“I feel humbled and privileged to have this internship. Each and every
day, I am excited to be a part of a team that is constantly moving
ideas to actions. Honestly, I feel like I have the best internship in
the world because it never quite feels like a job – it feels like
another day doing the things that I enjoy and care about,” she says.

As an intern in the White House, her duties include researching,
analyzing and relevant policies and regulations, drafting memorandum,
participating in discussions, and performing administrative tasks.

Asked if she had met President Obama, she says, “I have not, but I
hope I will. Having the opportunity to work with White House staff is
an incredible honor and good enough for me. More than meeting the
President, it is important to me that I contribute to the substantive
work that takes place in the Executive Office of the President. I feel
like I do that on a daily basis.”

Once the internship completes, Anushree plans to explore job prospects
in the Washington DC area.” I am exploring options in public sector
(working on public policy) as well as private law firms. I’m open to
any and all ideas!”

Explaining how she got the internship, she says, “I applied for the
internship online last year, and when I was offered the internship I
immediately said, “yes!” I encourage everyone out there to apply on
whitehouse.gov and see where it takes you.”

Previously, she interned with Federal Judges in both Bankruptcy and
Federal District courts. Working in the federal judicial system
inspired her to be involved in her community, refine her legal skills,
and move ideas to actions. Currently, she is an intern with the White
House Domestic Policy Council. Aside from her professional life, she
enjoys yoga, traveling, and movies (especially Bollywood).

Though she had left India when she was seven, she loves Hyderabad.
“Hyderabad is the hometown of both my mother and father and I am proud
to say that I am from the City of Pearls. It is my favorite city to
visit and every time I am there, I am always delighted by the people
and the charm of the city. I want to thank my family for their endless
support of my endeavors – they really are my cheering squad rain or
shine.  I encourage all young people to aim their goals high.”

Anushree said she did not always believe she could get this internship
“until I believed in myself enough to apply”. She says the internship
has allowed her to develop new skills and absorb valuable career
advice from some of the top US officials. She advices youngsters,
“whatever your professional career choice is, make sure to set your
goals high because you never know what opportunities will come
knocking.” 

No comments:

Mother's Care

Mother's Care
Minnu The Cat & Her Kittens Brownie, Goldie & Blackie

Someone with Nature

Someone with Nature
Syed Akbar in an island in river Godavari with Papikonda hills in the background

Recognition by World Vegetable Centre

Recognition by World Vegetable Centre

Under the shade of Baobab tree

Under the shade of Baobab tree
At Agha Khan Akademi in Kenya

Gateway to the Southern Hemisphere

Gateway to the Southern Hemisphere

Convention on Biodiversity

Convention on Biodiversity
Syed Akbar at the 11th Conference of Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity