India's plans to tap solar energy:
* India plans to become solar giant in the next 11 years by achieving 20000 mw of power through solar energy by 2020. It wants to make non-conventional energy at least 10 per cent of the total energy consumed in the country.
* The National Solar Mission, cleared recently by the PMO, also plans to add 1,00,000 mw of solar power by 2030 and 2,00,000 mw by 2050.
* Solar energy will bring down the cost to Rs 4 to Rs 5 per kwhr.
* The country has an installed capacity for manufacture of solar panels of 700 megawatt per year. India has also gained the capability to increase the capacity to 20,000 mw per annum.
* The Centre has identified 16 solar hubs including one in Visakhapatnam to reduce energy dependence on conventional sources by 10 per cent by 2012.
Word Of The Day - Improve Your Knowledge
Word of the Day
|Definition:||Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task.|
Quote of the Day
Every traveler has a home of his own, and he learns to appreciate it the more from his wandering.