Thursday, 4 August 2005

IICT develops mechanism to filter out fluoride content from water

2005
Syed Akbar
Hyderabad, Aug 4: City-based Indian Institute of Chemical Technology has developed a simple but effective mechanism to filter out fluoride content from water in villages affected by fluorosis.
The machine which works on reverse osmosis system provides 600 litres of pure fluroride- and bacteria-free water per hour. A litre of pure water costs less than five paise. It gives out water containing less than 0.5 ppm of fluoride and about 20 ppm of total dissolved solids, which are essential nutrients required by humans, from raw water containing 1200 ppm of TDS.
The IICT has set up a pilot plant in Mylaram village of Nalgonda district at a cost of Rs 3.5 lakh. The rejection of TDS is about 98 per cent and fluoride is 92 per cent. The flux is generally maintained at 25 litres per hour metre cube and quantity of water recovered for drinking is about 65 per cent. The remaining 35 per cent water is the reject for disposal, which can be used for washing of clothes or gardening.
IICT director Dr JS Yadav told reporters on Thursday that Andhra Pradesh had many places with high content of fluoride and people living in these areas were affected by weakening of skeletal and dental framework, knock knee, cataract, low blood pressure and gastro-enteritis. Ground water in Nalgonda contains 20 ppm fluoride as against the permissible level of 1.5 ppm (Indian standards) and 0.5 ppm (WHO standards).
Dr Yadav said current methods such as "Nalgonda Technique", which involve removal of fluoride by adsorption, suffer from disadvantages like poor fluoride removal capacity, inability to separate imputeries (sulphates and micro-organism), low flow rates and high operating costs.

No comments:

Word Of The Day - Improve Your Knowledge

Word of the Day

Article of the Day

This Day in History

Today's Birthday

In the News

Quote of the Day

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 

Hangman

This Day In History

Mother's Care

Mother's Care
Minnu The Cat & Her Kittens Brownie, Goldie & Blackie

Someone with Nature

Someone with Nature
Syed Akbar in an island in river Godavari with Papikonda hills in the background

Recognition by World Vegetable Centre

Recognition by World Vegetable Centre

Under the shade of Baobab tree

Under the shade of Baobab tree
At Agha Khan Akademi in Kenya

Gateway to the Southern Hemisphere

Gateway to the Southern Hemisphere

Convention on Biodiversity

Convention on Biodiversity
Syed Akbar at the 11th Conference of Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity